Wednesday 16 October 2013

Coffee, Compliment and English

Was sitting in Cafe Coffee Day today with the missus*. There was just another customer besides us. The guy approaches us and says- "Brother! Can I say something?" I say yes. He says- "You sound good." I think maybe he was an audience in some quiz that I conducted and liked my voice (though I must not let you get that notion- my voice doesn't sound too good on the mike). The missus thinks the same. Then he adds- "You both sound good." Too stunned to correct his English, I murmur a thanks and he goes off giving us a thumbs up! We were in splits for the next half hour or so.

Now I can appreciate the power of bad English. Had he used proper language, we may have thanked him and proceeded to sip our drinks. His incorrect usage gave us a reason to laugh and be happy. Long live desi English!


*I am not married. Not yet (thankfully ;) ). The term was borrowed from one of my dear friend's blog where he uses the same to refer to his girl. Also, it has some old world charm. Plus, as he frequently reminds me: "The English messed up with us for 400 years. We can pay them back by messing up with their language!" He devotes hours trying to cook up new Indianised English words!

1 comment:

The Cynic said...

Arz kiya hai
*clears throat*

From desi English bad,
Much hilarity was had.
By the Daktar and the missus
Over coffee, and sweet dishes,
At the Dibrugarh CCD,
(which is mostly empty)
Except when visited by the gracious
Daktar and the Missus.

Well, at least that rhymed. Mostly.